Environmental awareness is to understand the fragility of our environment and the importance of its protection. Promoting environmental awareness is an easy way to become an environmental steward and participate in creating a brighter future for our children.
Globally, via a number of Acts, Convention & Treaties like the following:
- 1973 London International MARPOL Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (as amended with the 1978 London Protocol)
- 1989 Basel International Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes & their Disposal
- 1990 International Convention on Oil Pollution Preparedness, Response and Co-Operation (OPRC)
- 2007 Nairobi International Convention on the Removal of Wrecks
- 2009 Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships
It has set a legislative frame for the Protection of the Environment that has been accepted around the globe and are regulating Industrial Production, in terms of Environmental Awareness and Protection. Amongst these, there are regulations about the Waste Management in Maritime Business,
Environmental Protection and promoting Environmental Awareness are major priorities for us. So, in such a manner we have developed a bundle of services, covering the whole range, from Consultancy Services to Environmental Response & Protection Operations.
Spanopoulos Group is an acknowledged industry leader in the provision of environmental services. Spanopoulos Group provides both Response and Consultancy Services and has established an Environmental Protection Department, specializing in Risk Mitigation and Handling and Management of Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS) Pollution incidents.
At the heart of our environmental services, there are four key factors:
- Integrated solutions comprising consultancy, training, assets, and operations.
- A pragmatic approach to problem solving arising from over forty years of continuous experience.
- A rigorous safety and quality culture.
- A competitive proposition that adds value through partnering and efficient & effective use of resources.
Spanopoulos Group works alongside a prestigious client base, providing tailor-made environmental solutions at a local level into industry sectors such as:
- Oil & Gas
- Maritime Companies
- Ports and Harbors
- Local Authorities
- Government Agencies
Moreover, always with a pioneering spirit, in order to keep abreast of trends, in terms of Environmental Protection, Spanopoulos Group is a proud member of both National and International Organizations, aiming to promote Environmental Protection and Preservation. So, in such terms, Spanopoulos Group is a proud member of the following Organizations:
Spanopoulos Group, being active in the Salvage Business for the past 40 years, has developed a significant experience over dealing with difficult situations, in terms of Environmental Protection. So, as a natural evolution, we have established a strong, in – house, fully responsive department of in-house experts, backed by a network of international environmental consultants which have dealt with numerous demanding cases, involving Pollution Prevention & environmental Protection.
The range of environmental consultancy services offered includes:
- Oil Spill Contingency Plans – OSCP
- Exercise Monitoring and Design
- Emergency Response Plans – ERP
- Development and Implementation Waste Management & Handling Plans – WMHP
- Oil Spill Response Review and Assessment
Spanopoulos has developed an extended experience providing response services responding to the full spectrum of spill related incidents that threaten the environment. Our highly trained Spill Response personnel has dealt with numerous cases, covering both coastal and offshore incidents.
We provide safe, rapid and cost effective spill solutions 24 hours a day, 365 days a year through our unrivaled combination of response bases and services.
Spill Response Services include:
- Full Service Tier 1, 2 & 3 Marine Pollution Response
- Simulation and exercise management
- Deployment logistics
- Site Decontamination & Remediation
- Hazardous and Noxious Substances (HNS) Containment & Recovery
- Waste management
- Equipment hire
- Sorbent sales and after care
- Salvage support
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has adopted the “Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships” in 2009. This was enforced by EU-Regulation 1257/2013 for all ships of 500GT and above, since December 30th 2013. Affected are ship owners, ship yards, manufacturer, suppliers and recycling facilities.
Key aspects of the Convention are:
- Assessment and documentation of hazardous materials for ships and platforms (“Inventory of Hazardous Materials” (IHM)) till December 30th, 2020
- Within the coming seven years approx. 30.000 ships have to obtain an IHM and certificate, this makes ~20 ships per day from application date of EU-Regulation
- Authorization of Ship Recycling Facilities
Spanopoulos Group has undertaken fully its duty and provides a spectrum of Ship Recycling Activities, pertaining to “Hong Kong International Convention for the Safe and Environmentally Sound Recycling of Ships” and EU-Regulation 1257/2013, which include:
- Performance of a HAZMAT Survey and Preparation of competent Report, for every vessel to be recycled, by approved in – house HazMat Experts.
- Communication with relevant Authorities and Preparation of required Documentation for the Transboundary Movement of End-of-Life-Vessels.
- Towage of End-of-Life-Vessels, from their place of berth to Authorized Ship Recycling Facilities.